[lbo-talk] Progressive taxation vs flat tax

John Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 14:12:59 PDT 2004

> You can do it by going to a place where there are sales taxes and no
> sales taxes in close geographic proximity and then comparing retail
> prices: I assure you, the consumer is paying the tax. Try Portland
> Oregon, for instance.

Certainly bn.com (no sales tax), the suburban (low sales tax) Barnes & Noble, and the in-city (high sales tax) Barnes & Noble display a uniform price for the same book.

Just one anecdotal data point from Tucson, Arizona.

-- John S Costello joxn.costello at gmail.com "Every other vice hath some pleasure annexed to it, or will admit of some excuse, but envy wants both." -- Robert Burton