[lbo-talk] Continuing China fever

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Aug 10 09:38:30 PDT 2004

Chris Doss wrote:

> I would go as far as to point out that authoritarian
> governments can foster economic development quite
> effectively. In the past 100 years, how many times has
> a region "developed" under a liberal democratic system
> of government? Scandinavia.
>Maybe India.

Indian growth rates haven't been spectacular. But there hasn't been a boom/bust cycle either. There has been steady growth at about 5-6% per year over previous 25 years.

>In this part
> of the world, the fastest development rates ever were
> during the time of you-know-who, that Georgian guy.

I am not an economist. Stalin's methods produced some results in 30s, but I am not sure the same methods would necessarily work at a different stage of economic development or in a different social milieu.

Ulhas

Ulhas