[lbo-talk] Continuing China fever

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 11 04:07:25 PDT 2004

> I am not an economist. Stalin's methods produced
> some results in
> 30s, but I am not sure the same methods would
> necessarily work at a
> different stage of economic development or in a
> different social milieu.
>
> Ulhas

I'm not an economist either. My point was that democratic government and economic development do not necessarily go together. Japan developed under the Emperors and then under a quasi-authoritarian effectively one-party state (I think), the USSR under Revolution from Above, Spain under Franco, South Korea under a military dictatorship, Indonesia under Suharto, China under a one-party state. Russia is booming right now under conditions of "managed democracy." "'Liberal democracy" seems to require a strong middle class, for one thing, which none of these countries had/have.