[lbo-talk] Democracy and Constitutional Rights

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 10 13:47:08 PDT 2004

Justin wrote:

>You'll take democracy over constitutional rights?

Supreme Court justices are nominated and confirmed by elected officeholders, so we may say that they, too, are products of democratic representation -- if people can actually exercise democratic rights through elections, that is.

I'm a bit surprised that it is Nathan who has most vocally insisted that fighting for rights through courts is undemocratic, when he is the first to say that one of the important reasons for voting for the Democratic Party presidential candidate is his power to nominate Supreme Court justices. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>