[lbo-talk] The Importance of Disenfranchising Nader/Camejo Voters

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:41:55 PDT 2004

>[lbo-talk] The Importance of Disenfranchising Nader/Camejo Voters
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Tue Aug 10 14:21:11 PDT 2004
<snip>
>mike larkin wrote:
>
>>Whatever it takes to keep Nader off the ballot in battleground
>>states, I'm for it. I'll burn the signature cards myself.
>
>Hey, that's not fair. U.S. ballot access restrictions suck - they
>were designed to impede democracy and grease elite rule. I don't
>like Ralph's candidacy, but it's his right to run. If it weren't so
>hard to get on the ballot, we wouldn't be facing this dismal choice.

>[lbo-talk] The Importance of Disenfranchising Nader/Camejo Voters
>Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com, Tue Aug 10 14:18:53 PDT 2004
<snip>
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>Because, contrary to what Anybody But Nader intellectuals claim,
>>Nader has been polling slightly better in 2004 than in 2000,
>>according to Gallup: "Nader 2004 > Nader 2000":
>><http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/08/nader-2004-nader-2000.html>.
>
>Not anymore.
>
>(polls dated by closing date)
>

> Bush Gore Nader Buchanan
> 4/30/00 44 42 4 4
> 6/7/00 43 42 5 3
> 6/25/00 47 40 6 3
> 7/16/00 43 41 6 3
> 7/24/00 49 41 3 1
> 7/26/00 46 41 4 2
> 8/5/00 54 35 4 1
> 8/7/00 45 43 4 1
>
> Bush Kerry Nader
> 3/7/04 45 47 5
> 3/28/04 48 43 5
> 4/8/04 46 45 5
> 4/18/04 47 44 5
> 5/4/04 45 44 6
> 5/9/04 41 46 7
> 5/23/04 44 46 6
> 6/6/04 42 45 7
> 6/23/04 45 46 6
> 7/11/04 42 50 4
> 7/21/04 43 47 5
> 8/1/04 48 47 2
>

>monthly averages
>----------------
>
> Rep Dem Nader
>
>2000
>June 45.0 41.0 5.5
>July 46.0 41.0 4.3
>August 49.5 39.0 4.0
>
>2004
>June 43.5 45.5 6.5
>July 42.5 48.5 4.5
>August 48.0 47.0 2.0

Restricting ballot access is the most important and effective means of diminishing support for a left-wing political agenda in the United States, for, after all, even the most diehard supporters of the Nader/Camejo campaign -- not to mention anyone who is not so firmly committed to independent political action -- will have to say in the end, echoing Jim Westrich, "I won't vote for Nader because he is NOT on the ballot" if indeed he can't get on the ballot.

It will be a close call in Ohio, which has the August 19 deadline, judging by Ohio coordinator Julie Coyle's remarks in the Plain Dealer ("It's Nada but Nader for Julie Coyle," August 8, 2004). -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>