[lbo-talk] Update on NYT Census Story

Jim Westrich westrich at nodimension.com
Wed Aug 11 10:31:19 PDT 2004

A follow-up on the Census story Doug origianlly posted. It seems that I was right and that all the Census offered other agencies (like Homeland Security) is a repackaging of PUBLIC information. The phrase "specially tabulated" had me speculating that it was at least possible they included 5-digit zip detail that would not be available otherwise (this detail is supressed in areas where there are not enough people that fit that category to protect privacy). Even that is NOT true--it is all PUBLIC and EASILY avaible at the Census site.

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040802/017102.html

Here is the official Census email: http://www.epic.org/privacy/census/foia/census_emails.pdf

Dug up by: http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2004_08_07.shtml#1092170618

Jim

"Things have an eloquence that words lack."

--Louise Michel, The Red Virgin: The Memoirs of Louise Michel