[lbo-talk] biz ethics & slavery

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 11 11:42:22 PDT 2004

From: Ron Salzberger <rsalzberger at visi.com> Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:21:06 -0500

I wonder if you might do me the favor of posting the following to your list. The note is self-explanatory, and the purpose is, I gthink, appropriate for the list.

Subject: Request for collegial help

Hello.

I'm writing to a number of the members of the Radical Philosophy Association.

I am a professor of philosophy at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, MN., and I have a dilemma. I'm about to teach my first business ethics course in 30 years, and I'm eager to avoid teaching a business-as-usual course.

So, I wonder if you or anyone you know of a progressive bent has any advice on what to do in such a course. I have in mind, for example, including the kind of review of valuations of acquisition and wealth that Peter Singer does in How Are We to Live as a partial remedy for the unquestioned status of these things in standard business ethics texts.

My students are generally persons over 25, on the average about 34 years of age, 60 percent female, 80 percent fully employed, 30 percent people of color, with a good sized contingent of international students for whom English is a new language.

My background is in anglophone social and political philosophy with an interest in race and sexuality (Ph.D. Philosophy, Harvard, 1975). I have a book out this month on reparations for slavery.

Any suggestions or references would be greatly appreciated. I can certainly use some help.

Yrs,

Ron Salzberger

Ronald Paul Salzberger, Ph.D. Professor of Philosophy Metropolitan State University Saint Paul, MN

Ronald Paul Salzberger rsalzberger at visi.com