[lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and Constitutional Rights

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Aug 12 10:14:24 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "BklynMagus" <magcomm at ix.netcom.com>
>But the realities are:
>a) a victory through the courts in Massachusetts
>b) a defeat in Missouri through the polls - a defeat of 71% to 29%

California High Court voids gay marriages in San Francisco http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/12/national1259EDT0578.DTL

So the reality is that the courts in all but a handful of states have done exactly what the population wanted, and in most states have granted protection for gays against discrimination that the courts never did.

Show me the Supreme Court decision that protects gays against discrimination in employment. I will show you the state laws passed by democratic governments that have passed such laws, just as the federal government has banned discrimination against gays in most areas of federal employment.

Nathan Newman