[lbo-talk] Clinton fails to charm

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Aug 12 10:46:50 PDT 2004

if you watched the show, a lot of what she complains about went over quite well with the crowd.

i can't believe you're quoting wonkette, now. she's basically moaning that he didn't jump around stage like he did in the 1992 campaign. he's not our wild bill any more! that bastard! did she like the gays-in-the-military bait-and-switch better when he was playing a sax on arsenio hall's show? it looks to me like he's simply undergoing that standard (and, yes, tiresome) transition to ex-presidential elder statesman.

i might add that dole is an outstanding daily show guest, but he's also not an ex-president and, thankfully, never will be. likewise, john mccain is consistently the most entertaining, biting repeat guest on "the daily show", but i wouldn't want to vote for him, either . . . and it's worth noting that mccain makes his living eating bush's lunch while pretending bush is eating his.

the point of the original thread on this topic was that people can be very entertaining or, more importantly, very effective politicians (in various ways) and still be wrong and/or people you wouldn't want to vote for. that could be mccain, clinton, dole . . . or W.