[lbo-talk] McGreevey story, per NPR this evening

JW Mason j.w.mason at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 13 07:42:59 PDT 2004

Well, there's also the issue of Charles Kushner, McGreevey's biggest campaign donor, who is under indictment for hiring call girsl to seduce, on tape, witnesses against him in a tax evasion (I think?) investigation, to blackmail them into refusing to testify. In a nice touch, one of the witnesses was his own brother-in-law. Not clear if it tocuhes McGreevey directly, but it was the first thing most people thought of when his resignation was announced.

Another sad thing is that McGreevey, from where I'm sitting, was actually a pretty decent guy. Spent quite a lot of political capital increasing the progressivity of New Jersey state taxes -- the high end income-tax increase, a model corporate loophole closing package, property tax relief, etc. Not too many state politicains out there campaigning on a "millionaires tax."

Josh

----- Original Message ----- From: "DeborahSRogers" <debburz at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 8:54 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] McGreevey story, per NPR this evening