[lbo-talk] Re: USA Today: Bush approval rating

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 08:57:19 PDT 2004

It's interesting, but I find these kind of appeals to history rather suspicious. After all, don't we say "no president except for Truman [has won an election with an approval rating of below 50% at this point, etc.]"? If Kerry wins, Bush will be the first president since x to buck the trend and in 2008 we'll quote that statistic. Every election creates its own conditions and I'm suspicious of reading these tea leaves, especially as when two readings - Bush can't win [with such a low opinion poll rating in April]; Bush can't lose [with an rating of 50%+ in August] - come face to face. Something's got to give.

Simon

http://yahoo.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/nation/president/2004-08-12-bush-usat_x.htm?csp=1