[lbo-talk] Re: Democracy and Constitutional Rights

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:50:20 PDT 2004

Miles said:

>Here's the problem people are ducking in this thread:
>there is no universally agreed upon metastandard for
>adjudicating between these moral universes. Each side
>simply takes its own beliefs as the metastandard by which
>all beliefs should be judged.

>From a theoretical POV that's true. But in the real world, cultures,
especially nowadays, aren't that overdetermined and static. Cultures meet and interact, mix and change, no matter how much people in power try to "deal with" that fact. Wouldn't a good progressive ideology involve wanting that sort of open-ness, while protecting those who want to "opt out" of a particular culture's acts and artefacts?

Why must there be some "universally agreed-upon metastandard" (as much as I'd like there to be one) in real life?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.