[lbo-talk] Ancient Slavery (was: Democracy and Constitutional Rights)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Aug 15 11:59:50 PDT 2004

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:40:38 -0700 (PDT) andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> writes:
> My impression is that there was a sort of division between something
> like house slaves and field slaves. "House" slaves were often not
> only better educated but sometimes even richer than some masters,
> could own slaves themselves (right?) and even be paid; and those
> were the ones where educated Romans would say, There but for the
> grace of the Gods go I. Then there were the disposible field slaves
> whose lives were used up in the latifundia, galleys, and mines --
> and they were viewed as naturally subordinate. Not necessarily
> because of anything Aristotle said, of course.

As I understand it there was a whole hierarchy of different strata of slaves in Roman society. The upper strata of slaves (who were usually well educated) could be quite wealthy and powerful in their own right, such as some of the imperial slaves and the slaves who manned much of the Roman bureaucracy. Manumission of slaves was not uncommon, and the Roman rags-to-riches story might be one of say a young man who is taken captive in the provinces and brought back to Rome to serve as a slave in the household of a wealthy Roman. Said slave earns favorable attention from his master because of his intelligence and hard work, eventually he earns his freedom, enjoys the patronage of his former master and eventually becomes a wealthy and powerful personage in his own right in Rome.