[lbo-talk] Tariq Ali on Venezuela

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon Aug 16 20:21:17 PDT 2004

At 07:27 PM 8/16/2004, you wrote:
> > Good stuff. Will the ultras now declare Chavez a sellout?
> >
> > Doug
>
>Who knows -- but here's Marc Cooper before the recall vote:
>
>And if I were a Venezuelan, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. My vote would
>be to recall Hugo Chavez.
>Let's be clear: I make no illusions about his opposition. It is led, in
>great part, by an oil-spoiled oligarchy and by elite right-wing parties.
>This opposition is also buoyed by Bush administration support. And most
>likely braced by numerous covert programs, not necessarily excluding the CIA
>itself.

as usual, coop comes across like a third leg to dennis miller and christopher hitchens.

on his weblog i guess you'd call it [http://marccooper.com/], a participant challenged his view of chavez by citing doug's interviews:

"leftist ideologue? actually i've heard him interviewed on Doug Henwood's radio show several times, he sounds pretty reasonable on his show. i think by 'ideologue', you mean someone who disagrees with you and is left wing?

Here's an interesting interview with a Chavez gov't rep: http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html#040812

posted by Steve"

coop's response in part:

"You know, steve, the more I read of ur comments the less I get you. Whaddayathink? That politics is some form of personal endorsement? That something is more or less true because Doug Henwood or Chris Hitchens approves or disapproves of something? What happened to critical thinking? What happened to making up your own mind. Now here's the irony, pal. You mention Tarq Ali's interview by Doug Henwood. Doug is an old friend of mine and has eaten several meals in my home. Tariq Ali is effectively my publisher as he is CEO of Verso which published my first two books. OK. So what? Tariq is dead wrong on Venezuela. I dont know what Doug's position is on the matter and frankly I dont care-- because whatever it is he will still be my friend and I will still oppose Chavez."

what is your position, doug?