[lbo-talk] State of the US Left

Adam Souzis adamsz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:21:00 PDT 2004

With the exception of perhaps WSF i don't see how any of these are "political commons" (other than the tautological sense that actors in an ideological movement share a common ideology).

To be concete, how do you imagine you could engage in the movements you list here if you "don't do community activism or street heat, I don't do foundation advertising or NGO fundraising. I'm not a marketeer or a salesperson or a lawyer... I'm not even allowed to be a professional culture-worker or theorist"??

But now you're asking a different question, a very broad one -- how can we make the left stronger in the US? (which seems to me different from Kelley's more specific question). That's a very interesting question, no doubt, but no answers are going to appear anytime soon that are going solve your problem of feeling isolated.

I'm being critical here but i identify with how you feel. I just think that if you could concretely visualize how you'd like to "plug-in" you'll be able to find opportunities to do that.

On a side note, I think Foucault's notion of the "specific intellectual" (in Truth and Power) is a good way of looking at this quandry.

--adam