[lbo-talk] State of the US Left

Dennis Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Aug 16 19:23:05 PDT 2004

> i'd very much like to know when and where are these spaces, this
> "political commons" where "long-term conversations can happen
> between identity-movements, artists, interested laypeople, union
> activists, NGOs and political parties"?

E.g. the world social forums, the various EU Green and Left parties, the Workers Party in Brazil, the Chavez movement in Venezuela, the trade unions in South Korea - lots of very interesting things happening. In a way, my question is really the same as Kelley's question - how can the US Left sustain collective institutions, as opposed to one-shot campaigns built on star personalities?

-- DRR