[lbo-talk] Nothing to Discuss? was Re: (no subject)

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 05:57:50 PDT 2004

At 10:39 PM 8/17/2004, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Kelley wrote:
>
> > If you wish to
> > understand what I've written, I'd suggest you actually read it. The answers
> > to your questions are right there.
>
>I've read it. I've even copied it into a Word file and formatted it for
>clear reading. And the more I read and reread it, the harder it is for
>me to figure out just what you are after. Take the following paragraph,
>incidentally, began with "For what it's worth": i.e., I took your
>original post as chatty, and chatted back. I'm sorry if I misread the
>tone.)
>
>Kelley: So whenever a community comes to me and asks me for help and
>says, "We're being exploited and discriminated against and shafted in
>every way; we need to organize," what am I going to say? "Sorry, guys,
>if I help organize you to get power and you win, then you'll all become.
>just like Back of the Yards, materialistic and all that, so just go on
>suffering, it's really better for your souls." And yet that's what a
>good many so-called radicals are in fact saying. It's kind of like a
>starving man coming up to you and begging you for a loaf of bread, and
>your telling him, "Don't you realize that man doesn't live by bread
>alone?" What a cop-out. No, there'll be setbacks, reverses, plenty of
>them, but you've just got to keep on sluggin'. I knew when I left Back
>of the Yards in 1940 that I hadn't created a utopia, but people were
>standing straight for the first time in their lives, and that was enough
>for me."

Carrol, if you'd read Alinsky or even bothered to read this quotation in the original psot, you'd see that ALINKSY WROTE IT. not me! Jesus Christ on a Pogo Stick!

Second, the reason I have nothing to discuss with you is that you actually think Yoshie's comment is funny.

If you can't address those two things, don't bother contributing to this thread and expecting me to pay attention. You have to actually pay attention, also.

Kelley