[lbo-talk] Left/Venezuela

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 18 07:36:20 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Besides, what's the point of "theory" if you are using it, like
>David Harvey, only to construct an elaborate rationalization for
>campaigning for the Democratic Party?

So just because Harvey emerges with a conclusion you don't like, his theorizing - and maybe theorizing in general - is a waste of time? I'm stunned. You've become a total activismist. The assimilative powers of American ideology, even in its alternative varieties, are truly immense.

Harvey's highly qualified support for Kerry comes from an evaluation of the Bush admin's record and the political configurations and possibilities of the present day. Your support for Nader seems to come from the desire for a pure gesture, since I've yet to hear a convincing argument that voting for a lone wolf candidate who has repeatedly distanced himself from efforts to organize an independent Green Party is part of any long-term strategy more worked out than "breaking with the Dems."

Doug