[lbo-talk] Left/Venezuela

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Aug 18 08:05:06 PDT 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Besides, what's the point of "theory" if you are using it, like
>David Harvey, only to construct an elaborate rationalization for
>campaigning for the Democratic Party?

-So just because Harvey emerges with a conclusion you don't like, his -theorizing - and maybe theorizing in general - is a waste of time? -I'm stunned... Harvey's highly qualified support for Kerry comes from an evaluation -of the Bush admin's record and the political configurations and -possibilities of the present day.

I'm always curious when I hear that anyone who works inside the Dems lacks theory or a strategy is whether those who say it are willing to back it up by saying that all of the civil rights folks who fought for the right to vote inside the Democratic Party lacked "theory," and the only deep thinkers were those who formed separate black or independent parties.

-- Nathan Newman