[lbo-talk] Tex Hitch

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 07:41:03 PDT 2004

Apparently, our old chum filmed a docu on Texan "values." From Slate's review:

"As is often the case with his journalistic writing, Hitchens' formulations are daring, but his opinion is hard to pin down. After an interview with Austin-based director Richard Linklater, who makes the by-now-familiar point that Bush is heavily influenced by his team of advisers, Hitchens observes in voice-over, 'I think I would give Bush more credit for being his own man.' Why? He never elaborates. Later, as Hitchens drives through the sterile Dallas suburb of Plano, he muses about the 'manicured bliss' of the lawns and the 'white, conservative, Christian, clean' population. 'I feel I could be very happy here,' he concludes mildly. Is he kidding? It's impossible to tell."

<http://www.slate.com/Default.aspx?id=2104849>

I'll wager that he's telling the truth, unless his recent admission that he'd like to sleep with Laura Bush was a put-on.

DP -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040820/3c0c90bc/attachment.htm>