[lbo-talk] Re: Groups Democracy and Constitutional Rights)

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Aug 20 15:39:33 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

> [Certainly, of the three Communism contributed the most to positive gain
> around the world in the last century (and was even indirectly
> responsible for most or all the gains made by liberal or
> social-democratic movements).]

East Germany>West Germany. N. Korea>S. Korea Romania>Greece

Don't think so. Capitalist democracy (best when as left in form as say, Sweden or maybe Germany) may be a failure, but it's certainly been a far less miserable failure than 20th century communism. Given an either/or choice between two "failures," I'll take the less miserable one every time.

Funny that you refer to Sweden as "nothing more than a pleasant liberal regime." I'd guess that the former Yugoslavia was the closest thing to a "pleasant communist regime." Where would you have preferred to live in the '70s if you were unaware of what social position you'd occupy?

-- Luke