[lbo-talk] One Michael Moore is worth a hundred cult-crit

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 22 18:30:52 PDT 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> True in a sense, but it overlooks the point that, independently of all
> theories, shit happens: when, as Sam Johnson pointed out in arguing
> against Bishop Berkeley, your foot strikes the stone, the theory you
> were going on, that there wasn't a stone in your path, is rather
> seriously diminished in likelihood, to say the least.

But unfortunately the biggest stones in the world aren't either visible or subject to kicking. How do you show the existence or non-existence of commodity fetishism as a primary stone in the world we live in? It is neither a stone on the ground nor, in the first instance, a thought in anyone's head. It is an extraordinarily complex set of social relations permeating all of our activity.

Incidentally, I don't know who introduced the subject line, but it's pretty silly. One piece of pound cake is worth 100 minutes of playing tiddly-winks. Fifteen minutes of Comic X is worth 10 full loads of laundry. The comparison stinks, whatever one thinks of either Moore or "cult-crit" (and the latter is a baiting term rather than a useful name of anything).

Carrol