[lbo-talk] One Michael Moore is worth a hundred cult-crit

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Aug 23 10:27:31 PDT 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 9:30 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> But unfortunately the biggest stones in the world aren't either visible
> or subject to kicking. How do you show the existence or non-existence
> of
> commodity fetishism as a primary stone in the world we live in? It is
> neither a stone on the ground nor, in the first instance, a thought in
> anyone's head. It is an extraordinarily complex set of social relations
> permeating all of our activity.

Taking a pragmatic stance, as I did in another post, I would say that if the concept of commodity fetishism means something in the context of our daily lives, illuminates our understanding of our lives in some significant way (as I think it does), it is employable (though many advocates of this concept don't seem to be able to make it clear what they are talking about).

It's what CF does in people's lives that demonstrates that it "exists." It exists if it affects those lives.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax