[lbo-talk] Anybody But Nader

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 25 03:25:23 PDT 2004

[lbo-talk] Anybody But Nader, dano dano at well.com
>Tue Aug 24 21:37:46 PDT 2004
<snip>
>Takes money from anybody on the Far Right who will throw it at him.

That was one of the Democratic Party's talking points in 2000, recycled and amplified in 2004; and the Democratic Party will say the same in 2008, 2012, ad infinitum, about any prominent leftist who has the same level of national recognition as Nader and runs for presidency.

"The Center for Responsive Politics found only 4% of Nader's funding came from donors who had also given to Republicans. This compares to 25% of Nader's votes in 2000 coming from registered Republicans. These same Republican donors gave more money to Democrats ($66,000), than to Nader ($54,000). See www.crp.org" ("Egg On Their Faces: Democrats' Big Lie Exposed," August 20, 2004, http://votenader.org/media_press/index.php?cid=165). I'd say that Republicans ought to send more money and sign more petitions for the Nader/Camejo 2004 campaign.

>The Dems are largely ignoring him, aside from working to disqualify
>him from as many ballots as they can.

The Democratic Party excludes Nader from as many ballots as it can, while bending election laws to help put Bush on the ballots in nine states.

Filing lawsuits to tie up campaigns in court battles, having your friends in the government disqualify signatures, and so on in order to exclude left-wing candidates from the ballots is an undemocratic violation of voting rights of voters who support the candidates. That's the modus operandi of the Democratic Party, whose enemies are not Republicans but voters on the left. -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/> * Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>