[lbo-talk] Lew Hill on Pacifica

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Aug 25 07:46:38 PDT 2004

> These are thoroughly false oppositions. I think dissidence should be
> held to high standards - we should be smart, informed, articulate,
> and appealing. Holding out a microphone and broadcasing the
> unfiltered voices of "the community," like some slice of audio
> verite, is none of thsoe things.
>
> Doug

And funny, too. There's yet another tedious piece on political humor in today's Times (so tedious I won't even link it), but the point is clear -- political dissent is better served with a smile, or a sneer, depending on the moment, the audience, the desperation of the situation, etc. When I was at 'BAI (shifting slowly in my chair, adjusting glasses as ancient anecdotes begin to surface), humor was truly looked down upon by a fair number of people. Coming from the comedy world, I naturally tended toward satire, and happily for me I was teamed with the divine Laura Flanders, daughter of a famous English comedian. Laura got what I was going for on our show, and she complemented me beautifully. Indeed, for a time, we had one of the hottest shows on 'BAI (according to listeners). And part of our appeal was our humor. 'Course, several other staffers (whom I won't name) bristled against this, one of whom yelled at me after a show that death squads weren't funny. I never said they were, quite the opposite, but he was tone deaf to what Laura and I were doing, and he was not alone.

Earnestness has its place, and I've grown to appreciate its value. But we are dead if we allow that to be our sole means of public expression.

DP