[lbo-talk] reactionary attack on democratic rights

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:46:44 PDT 2004

>Democrats’ drive to keep Nader off ballot: a reactionary attack on
>democratic rights
>By Patrick Martin 26 August 2004
>
>The Michigan Board of State Canvassers on August 23 blocked certification
>of petitions to place independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader on the
>state ballot.

I'm sure the Martin article will make the rounds of the Anybody-But-Kerry-and-Bush-is-better-anyway crowd, but the long and the short of it is that this article, as it pertains to Michigan (making the rest of it suspect) is bunk, according to a reliable source. Michigan law, the state Reform Party (which Nader tried to gain access as), and the dirty machinations of the Republican Party (and the GOP secretary of state who also happens to co-chair the state Bush campaign) are responsible for the controversy.

Also let's make no mistake, there was no mass people's movement demanding Nader be put on the ballot. It was the GOP. Not the Greens (the Greens gathered about 5,000 signatures then stopped a long time ago); not the Reform Party (the state party said he wasn't their guy), and not the left in any meaningful way. Nader sued to have his status as an RP candidate reestablished, the GOP wanted him in as an Independent, but only after the state RP said we don't want him (funny that Nader was trying to force the Reform Party to accept him as their candidate -- not very democratic, eh?). No one candidate is allowed to have two affiliations on the ballot -- MI ain't NY.

Suppression of democracy? Right. Suppression of a GOP campaign trick is more accurate.

Best to you all,

Joel Wendland http://www.politicalaffairs.net

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/