[lbo-talk] Marc Cooper and the myths that vets make up about being spat on

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 26 18:19:20 PDT 2004

An interesting phenomenon over at Marc Cooper's blog comments section. In a comments section for a post on the Swift Boat Vets controversy, I made a quip about Oneill likely claiming to have been spat on at some point down the road. A rightwinger then angrily claimed to have been a vet and proceeded to recount his own tale of being 'spat on'. I picked apart his bogus story and Cooper went ballistic, insisting that if the guy said he was spat on, then by golly he was spat on! Then another rightwing prowar fella shows up and makes up an even goofier story about being spat on by a girl in the New Orleans Airport!! I took that bizarre tale apart and then Cooper chimed in again about the big 'divisions' in the antiwar movement with one side [the good guys] sympathizing with the vets and the other sides [the bad guys] hating the 'baby killers'...He then thanked the two vets for their service and apologized for their being jeered back when.

I would like everyone to know that I have just remembered being spat on as a vet back in the vietnam war, i was spat on by a flower girl when I met with General Westmoreland in 1969 on the front lawn of the whitehouse, and the marines and secret service were afraid to do anything for fear that they might get beat up by her. Days of rage.