[lbo-talk] We don't live here anymore...

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Thu Aug 26 23:03:27 PDT 2004

Went to see "We Don't Live Here Anymore" on the basis of rave reviews in the New Yorker and SF Chron.

Uh. An interesting look at family suffocation, of how men act out through women, of failure/mortality in the USA. All this somehow came through despite mediocre direction and hopeless dialogue. Made me wish it had been directed by Lisa Chodorenko and that SOMEBODY would do a movie that is a little bit bigger than the family unit.

That great big cold gaping emptyness in American film is all about the absence of history as a meaningful dimension. In its absence we may get more insight watching paint dry.

Wait for the video.

On the other hand, one of the previews promised a Vanity Fair with Reese Witherspoon as Becky Sharp. Promising...

Joanna