[lbo-talk] Re: modern folklore: viet nam division

frank scott frank at marin.cc.ca.us
Thu Aug 26 21:12:41 PDT 2004

"...vets' tales of being spat on: How would you know? I'd take their stories with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't feel confident dismissing them out of hand..."

like all myths, stereotypes, etc., there is some basis in reality, but it gets blown out of all proportion...there may well have been a vet who was spat on by some dumb fuck who didn't know any better, but it's as likely as the cadillac welfare queen of reagan lore, or of the more common to white people's mythology that a "big black man" was present, did something, said something, etc...like, there are no little , average sized black men, and all war protesters immediately spat upon vets, and all welfare recipients drove cadillacs...

put these tales in the same file...

fs