[lbo-talk] Bush win - Major disaster for right?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 27 12:58:42 PDT 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>But that such speculations are pretty airy is the best reason for
>leftists not to attach themselves to the contest between RP & DP. We're
>not in Germany 1932. We are in the U.S. 1976.

Huh? 1976? I knew you had some fixations on the past, but I'd thought you knew this is 2004. How is it 1976? The 70s were the flameout of the Keynesian/welfare state/Bretton Woods system, which had made the working class too strong and confident. It was time to tear it all apart. Now we've done that, and the working class is weak. The right was about to begin its long ascendancy; now it's been dominant for almost 25 years. How's it 28 years ago>?

Doug