[lbo-talk] Re: new Pacifica internet stream

jimi ayler jimi_ayler at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 10:41:08 PDT 2004

> Pacifica Network’s Internet Radio player is a Web
> application in the
> form of a pop-up window that runs on Microsoft's
> media player
> software

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> no thank you.

> --ravi

> On the other hand, how can you live in this world
> while boycotting
> Microsoft products?

> Doug

> Streaming Ogg Vorbis. Better quality, patent-free,
> and runs on Linux.

> John S Costello

hear hear, as it were, jsc -- much of the success of windows media player is a function of the monopllistic control windows has over all things microprocessed. cost is also a factor -- i haven't investigated this recently, but time was windows media server was free and could stream to thousands of users simultaneously, as opposed, for example, to real, which used to charge for server usage above a few hundred. i believe this has changed, but not in a manner that makes it any easier to avoid windows.

still, as john suggests, there are alternatives -- quicktime, anyone? -- and you'd think a nominally progressive institution like pacifica would exhaust these options first before caving in to Pa Bill...along these lines, doug, it's easier these days than it's been since, oh, '95 to avoid most microsoft products to do what you need to do on a computer, and at roughly equivalent cost. sorta the same way you and i avoid archer daniels midland's pervasiveness in the grocery store -- simply a matter of modest re-education, willingness and will. you know, just like "the revolution"...

and i should mention the best outpost i'm aware of covering the rnc in nyc -- our own free 103.9, a collective dedicated to "transmission arts" ("pirate" but mostly streaming media) and avant-garde performance along these lines. it's the only outpost i know that had a correspondent arrested and delivering reports from _inside_ lock-up: http://www.screwmusicforever.com/free103/freemenu.html

=====

"How will [Bush] meet his God, having slaughtered so many men and women? He has committed so many crimes."

-- Ahmed Manajid, midfielder for the Iraqi soccer team,

protesting the team's appearance in a Bush-Cheney

campaign ad

____music+writing+webart+multimedia performance