[lbo-talk] RNC Protests II

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Aug 30 01:23:12 PDT 2004

The NYT quotes an unidentified cop as agreeing with the organizers' 500,000 estimate. It was really fucking big. Doug

Except that in this case it led to the NYT (certainly the paper of record when it comes to a national event in its backyard) entirely endorsing the organizers' estimate on their front page.. Michael

---------

It's great to hear it was big. I am a little stuck out here and don't have the box set up for streaming video or audio for that matter. So, I have to guess from written (hopefully eye witness) accounts. The brief clips on local tv were better than the national news. It was obviously big as seen from the air.

(yes, sometimes blogs... But I can't really put my finger on what bothers about blogs---sorry Max. The power shift from a collective free-for-all, to a monologue, followed by visitor comments? I don't know. I prefer to read multiple voices on random tangents and different directions. And I like the idea that nobody owns a thread, roles change, positions change and so forth..

Blogs on the other hand are a little like property or ownership, monopolizing the podium, special seats, monoculture. Something along those lines.)

It's fun to read different accounts of the NYC demos from list members in NYC---and convenient not to have to go chasing them down around the web.

But what about the mood in the street? From John Mage's link to Asian Times article:

``...and the mood was different indeed. Gone was the carnival atmosphere of early anti-war marches...

....When asked, marchers tended to stress the `seriousness' of the moment...''

Is that accurate? It was a good article and did give some sense of the crowd and people.

CG