[lbo-talk] Hypothesis for running a Progressive State Government

Tommy Kelly tkelly15450 at charter.net
Mon Aug 30 13:29:29 PDT 2004

I have been reading some of the post on this board, and many other boards, and the one thing I continue to notice is that the progressive left complains about a lack of order, or a lack of ideas, on how to run the various systems without screwing it up and losing votes. Well, I am not an economic – read a few of my other post and you can figure that out – but I did bother to try to conceive an idea for a progressive state government system.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

<>

_Cultural Contribution_

* zero state income tax

# zero state property tax

(1) Science Research Facility (* & #) –- for example pharmaceutical

(2) Education Facility (* & #) –- schools, & job skill training

(3) Health Facility (* & #) –- for example: hospitals, & GYM’s (they get half off each tax system)

(4) News Reporters (half off state income & property tax [...] only if they agree to include the SI next to the common format) -- for example weather [F and C], & measurement [regular & metric]

(5) People who are age 60 to 70 of age, and have been paying state tax for 25 years, will only have to pay 50 percent of the tax

People age 70 to 75 of age, and have been paying state tax for 25 years, will only have to pay 25 percent of the tax.

People age 75 to death, and have been paying state tax for 25 years, will pay ZERO percent of the tax

<>_Miscellaneous_

(1) Allow a democratic format in public schools (i.e. teachers get to vote on year-round school vs. regular format, or income spent, or uniforms vs. regular cloths.)

(2) Pay-as-you-drive (this will eliminate the tax dollars going to road repair, and will mean less money spent if you do not drive a lot)

(3) Install a facility state wide that caters to people with drug problems (thus eliminate the “war on drugs” and trying an alternative solution).

(4) Stop giving PBS tax dollars (recall the education facility)

(5) Eliminate a state grant for the arts (again recall the education facility)

(6) People only have to pay tax dollars depending on their income level [...] I’m still trying to figure this one out, but if you take the state medium income, and break it into 7 levels – thus eliminating the archaic class level – and have the highest (level 7) pay 10% and the lowest (level 1) pay 0%.

(7) In the public school, if a student fails a subject, he doesn’t get held back a grade, he only has to take the subjects he failed over again. He might be finished at 12^th grade but will continue taking the class(es) he failed the next year before they get a diploma.

(8) From 6^th to 8^th grade, students will have to take an economic / finance class.

(9) Build either a private or state-run monorail system, over the interstate or state roads. This will reduce the need for automobiles (at least to a small degree).

So what do you think? Any suggestions or criticism?