protest estimates (was [lbo-talk] RNC Protests: 1st few days (fwd))

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Aug 30 17:20:53 PDT 2004

Michael Pollak wrote:

> Because it's easier to do in your head -- and as you say, gives close
> to the same rough result.

Cool. I've tried several different sets of numbers (starting with figures past protests), and far all of them the results of both methods are very similar. The halve the high, double the low, and average method gives you cleaner and slightly higher results. At first glance this method seems to work like a back of the envelope geometric mean, provided the divergence between the initial figures isn't too extreme.

Very tangential to the topic at hand, but I'd never noticed the similarity before.

-- Shane -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040830/18cdb992/attachment.htm>