[lbo-talk] The Art of Political War: How Republicans Can Fight to Win

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Aug 31 06:50:04 PDT 2004

At 5:45 PM -0400 30/8/04, snit snat wrote:

>I want to discuss this more. Alas, the sonshine was in a terrible
>car accident yesterday and I'll be at the hospital for the next
>coupla days. He's going to be fine: he was wearing a seat belt and
>had airbags in the car. Just in a lot of pain.

If you get the boy's car accident into proper perspective, you'll see that it is incredibly good news. I'll never forget my relief after my eldest son had his accident, I'd been waiting for it for over a year, dreading the worst and knowing there was nothing I could do. Unfortunately this appears to be the only way that young males are able to acquire any comprehension that they are not immortal beings.

Eventually it happened, he simply fell asleep at the wheel on a quiet country road in the early hours of the morning. At high speed of course, he only knew two speeds, flat out and stop. But luck was with him and by sheer luck he managed to avoid the many fatal obstacles, such as power poles, bridges, trees, not to mention oncoming cars and instead crash relatively harmlessly through a farmers fence, then limped away with (relatively) minor injuries.

A great weight was lifted from me and so it should be for you. So count your blessings, such inevitable outcomes as a young man's first car crash must be regarded as good fortune if no-one is maimed or killed. Lots of parents don't get off nearly as easily.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas