[lbo-talk] Challenge for leftists of all stripes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 1 06:38:20 PST 2004

Nathan Newman wrote:

>-And would John Q. Moneybags III, individual capitalist, behave any
>differently?
>
>John Q Moneybags rarely controls property or assets which the public wants
>to regulate. He almost always controls such property through corporate
>entities. If the public cannot regulate the corporate entity, they lose
>the a lot of power to control corporate power.
>
>Let me give an example I am working on right now. Hartford and Chicago are
>debating city ordinances that would require large retail establishments
>like Wal-Mart to allow the public (and union organizers) onto their
>property to talk to customers and employees. An argument the opposition
>lawyers are making is that this would violate the free speech rights of the
>companies to have to "associate" with speech on their property with which
>they disagree.
>
>Nobody expects to force John Q. Moneybags to allow protesters onto his
>property, but we don't want to extend the same principle to corporations
>like Wal-Mart.

My whole point is that a corp is an institutionalized version of Mr Moneybags, and both will behave in pretty similar fashion. I don't understand what the corp personhood crowd sees as an alternative to the corporate form. If it's some sort of semi-socialized hybrid form, in which public benefit somehow is supposed to co-exist with profit maximization, then we're not talking legal reform, we're talking serious political transformation. I don't think the personhood people really understand this.

Doug