[lbo-talk] Altruism & Evolution?

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Dec 1 13:05:47 PST 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Luke Weiger wrote:
>
>> Exactly. And some behavioral speculations are just as well-founded
>> as any relating directly to anatomical features like hearts and
>> hands. No one denies this until we start talking about people.
>
> Well, I for one think it's sloppy biology when biologists do it, just
> as it's sloppy psychology when psychologists do it. C'mon guys, this
> is Philosophy of Science 101: speculation is fine, it generates
> potentially useful theories. However, if there is no meaningful way
> to empirically test the speculation, we're not doing science.

fair enough, but isn't it also phil.sci 101 that very few scientific theories actually proceed (or are validated) in this orderly way (empirical tests)? be that as it may, perhaps my choice of the word "demonstrate" is incorrect. as CB has pointed out, is there conclusive empirical data (fossil record?) to establish that the giraffe's neck grew taller in response to selection pressures? speculation is not an unimportant affair (even in science) and a compelling argument that captures public attention (such as dawkins' "selfish gene" did) can have serious consequences (in public policy and in science). in the absence of concrete scientific consensus, just-so stories can (IMHO) hold considerable sway, and (again IMHO) the dominant just-so story in biology (and behavioural psychology(?)) is neo-darwinian (ultra-darwinism, darwinian fundamentalism, etc).

i do not disagree with what i understand as your basic point regarding the [tall] claims (or wide leaps) of evolutionary psychology. hence my forward of the fodor piece.

--ravi