[lbo-talk] The Right Not to Work: Power and Disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Dec 2 18:14:34 PST 2004

>Sunny is a splendid person - smart, talented, & charming. I'm so
>happy MR published this.
>
>Doug

I'm happy for her too and glad to see something on disability. I just want people to realize that SSI sucks. If one is on SSI one can never have more than $2,000 in assets to stay qualified. One can work but one dollar out of every two is kept by the government so you really can get nowhere and even if you could the $2,000 limit would get you. It just isn't any kind of life one would want as one gets older.

The "welfare state" has never developed into a fair system. I know a couple where both partners were disabled. They had to get divorced when one got a job and his earnings meant savings over the SSI limit. Since the wife needed assistance on a daily basis and had to stay qualified for an attendant (which is based on SSI rules), they could never form a real marriage where they could plan a future together. The marriage went into the dumper. It was simply tragic.

Marta