[lbo-talk] lbo-talk] Wal-Mart

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 07:13:58 PST 2004

--- Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The level of data command and control on display by WMT is
> staggering
> and should serve as an example to everyone of the unlooked for
> consequences of achieving high levels of information efficiency
> (the
> holy grail of corporate lords and governments everywhere).

During the recent week when it seemed as though everyone and their goat was running a documentary on Wal-Mart, one of the shows (CNN, I believe) briefly interviewed the manager of the IT data room that collects and sorts and analyzes the streams of data coming in from the stores. They could tell within 10 minutes of point of sale that X number of boxes of Y detergent were sold in Po-dunk. Monitors on the wall broadcast weather reports from around the country so that they could enter and anticipate seasonal rushes. And on and on.

But what I noticed most was that the IT head and all of the employees in the room were women.

I'd love to know just how far below equivalent market wage those women are making in comparison to males in the same industry.

- Deborah

===== "If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses." - Lenny Bruce