[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Dec 3 07:38:09 PST 2004

>>Unions should attack Wal-Mart's supply chain first before trying to
>>organize Wal-Mart stores and offices.
>>
>>"By the end of 2001, Wal-Mart will have 78 distribution centers and
>>will employ approximately 25,000 workers" ("Wal-Mart: Driving Down
>>Standards in the Food Industry," July 11, 2000,
>><http://www.teamster.org/00news/nr_WW_1.htm>).
>>
>>Employ 156-240 organizers and salt every single Wal-Mart
>>distribution center, implanting 2-3 organizers per center, with the
>>goal of bringing about a nationwide Wal-Mart supply crisis within a
>>couple of years. That should cost $3-4.8 million per year,
>>spending $20,000 per organizer per year (the organizers combining
>>their union paychecks with Wal-Mart wages to survive and organize).
>>At the same time, beef up Jobs with Justice and similar
>>union-community-campus-congregation alliances, and line up support
>>of union locals whose workers' labor comes into direct or indirect
>>contact with the Wal-Mart supply chain.
>>
>>If unions succeed in organizing Wal-Mart distribution workers, they
>>can use the power to disrupt the supply chain as a lever to
>>organize Wal-Mart store and office clerks.
>>--
>>Yoshie
>
>As someone who knows the headaches of organizing in the logistics
>sector, I can tell you they'll need a lot more salt per distribution
>hub and more pay 'cause Wal-Mart will cut the working hours to the
>bone of any organizer they don't fire. They also need a plan for all
>the fired workers and for sustaining their presence in the hubs
>after the first second and third wave of firings.

Quadruple the sum that I mention above, and organized labor can still easily afford it. Besides, cutting the working hours of organizers and other troublemakers is not a phenomenon unique to the logistics sector or Wal-Mart. All anti-union employers do this. The point is to attack the supply chain strategically -- it represents a much smaller number of workers than all Wal-Mart store clerks, and yet controlling it gives you more leverage than controlling all stores.

>During the recent week when it seemed as though everyone and their
>goat was running a documentary on Wal-Mart, one of the shows (CNN, I
>believe) briefly interviewed the manager of the IT data room that
>collects and sorts and analyzes the streams of data coming in from
>the stores. They could tell within 10 minutes of point of sale that
>X number of boxes of Y detergent were sold in Po-dunk. Monitors on
>the wall broadcast weather reports from around the country so that
>they could enter and anticipate seasonal rushes. And on and on.
>
>But what I noticed most was that the IT head and all of the
>employees in the room were women.
>
>I'd love to know just how far below equivalent market wage those
>women are making in comparison to males in the same industry.
>
> - Deborah

That's fascinating. Isn't it very unusual for the IT department of a big company to be headed by a woman and predominantly staffed by women? -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/> * "Proud of Britain": <http://www.proudofbritain.net/ > and <http://www.proud-of-britain.org.uk/>