[lbo-talk] Re: eating, or everything else, too?

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 23:17:12 PST 2004

--- Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:

> This is a prescription for obesity, diabetes and heart attacks.
> It follows that the least expensive foods -- for the poor -- are
> the
> worst in quality and the more expensive foods -- for the better off
>
> -- offer a diet that allows one some control over one's health.

And that is exactly my point. One *can* feed oneself on $150 a month without starving, but it'll kill you in the end. Joanna's suggestion of a pickier, more spartan diet is certainly the dead-on goal, but as she points out, education about - and access to- those "healthier" foods isn't always available in the neighborhoods that need it most.

And for the working poor, taking the extra time to make everything from scratch after working and commuting long 12-14 hour days isn't an option either, hence the high-sodium, high-carb mac/ramen fallbacks.

- Deborah