[lbo-talk] stats on profs' class background?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 5 12:11:46 PST 2004

Stephen E Philion wrote:

>Anyone know some good sources on class backround of profs, especially
>left leaning profs? On the Marc Cooper discussion blog, he and others
>are trying to claim that professors who are left leaning are mostly
>priveleged wealthy elitists with no working class background to speak of.

THe only person I can think of who resembles that stupid caricature is Sam Bowles. The other radical academics I've known through URPE and the Marxist Literary Group seem to be from pretty ordinary backgrounds. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them came from union households; I can think of a couple off the top of my head, but that's pretty impressionistic.

Doug