[lbo-talk] stats on profs' class background?

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sun Dec 5 13:35:07 PST 2004

Looking back at my grad school/ academia days, I'd venture to guess that 95% of academics come from the solid to upper-middle class or are children of academics. Poor people can't afford a dozen years of school and then poor pay for most of the rest of their lives; and people with any kind of ideals or conscience or integrity, will have a rough time in academia. If their parents did it, they are likely to be more reconciled to the "process."

I knew two people from "working class" backgrounds in academia. One killed himself and the other rose to a chair at Exeter.

So I don't know what it means to say that leftist professors are "privileged wealthy elitists" since most professors come from this kind of background. "Wealthy" is an exaggeration, but solidly middle class, they almost all are.

What am I trying to say?....that it is not class background that distorts the view of leftist professors....but the process of being incorporated into academia....which is a privileged, hierarchical, elitist, careerist milieu.

Joanna