[lbo-talk] stats on profs' class background?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Dec 5 13:55:42 PST 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

>So I don't know what it means to say that leftist professors are
>"privileged wealthy elitists" since most professors come from this
>kind of background.

Yes, and I'd just been thinking I should have sent a postscript to my earlier post on this. Since most academics - like most professionals - come from relatively well-off backgrounds (given the low level of intergenerational mobility), the proper point of comparison for left academics should be other academics, not the general pop.

Doug