[lbo-talk] stats on profs' class background?

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 5 14:47:25 PST 2004

Michael Berube has a memoir of growing up in a trailer park in New Jersey, here, "White Trash: Race and Class in America, " ed. by Matt Wray, Annalee Newitz.

The late Bill Sennett lent me his signed copy. Which I lost on the bus, harrumph. (Bill fought in the Lincoln Brigade. After he was blacklisted he founded a trucking company and became wealthy. Gave scads away to left causes. Had a great collection of Ralph Fasanella painings, http://www.bread-and-roses.com/mar.html ) http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/catalog/titledetail.cfm?titleNumber=688996 Description: From the author of the best-selling King Leopold's Ghost, this haunting and deeply honest memoir tells of Adam Hochschild's conflicted relationship with his father, the head of a multinational mining corporation. The author lyrically evokes his privileged childhood on an Adirondack estate, a colorful uncle who was a pioneer aviator and fighter ace, and his first explorations of the larger world he encountered as he came of age in the tumultuous 1960s. But above all this is a story of a father and his only son and of the unexpected peace finally made between them.

-- Michael Pugliese