[lbo-talk] stats on profs' class background?

snit snat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 16:04:00 PST 2004

At 05:14 PM 12/5/2004, snit snat wrote:
>At 01:49 PM 12/5/2004, Stephen E Philion wrote:
>>Anyone know some good sources on class backround of profs, especially
>>left leaning profs? On the Marc Cooper discussion blog, he and others
>>are trying to claim that professors who are left leaning are mostly
>>priveleged wealthy elitists with no working class background to speak of.
>>Of course, that they are mostly still working class, tenure, perks and
>>all is a point entirely lost on this kind of person...
>
>It's old, but start with a look at _Working Class in the Academy_

Whadda maroon. The book is called _Strangers in Paradise_ (Jake Ryan and Charles Sackrey), not WCitA, because it's crafted from in-depth interviews and self-reports from people about the experience of being from a blue collar/poor background. They'd seen graduate school/the academy as the 'promised land' because it is, ostensibly, the one place based on merit and, until grad school, merit had gotten them somewhere. In graduate school, though, the weeding out mechanisms because much more obvious and the lie that it's about merit _alone_ is exposed. Hence, they feel like strangers.

Anys, I have a load of work to do. so laterlater...

"We live under the Confederacy. We're a podunk bunch of swaggering pious hicks."

--Bruce Sterling