[lbo-talk] Basic economics book

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Tue Dec 7 08:45:21 PST 2004

If you are trying to find a good introduction to economics that is non ideological...good luck. I do not say this to be discouraging. Economics is the most ideological of the social sciences and it is impossibly ideological. The best you can do is read around. My entry point to economics was through the history of economic thought. Basically the idea is to understand the origin of the main concepts used in the standard "neoclassical" introductory economics texts. I would suggest the following reading program:

E.K. Hunts "The History of Economic Thought" paired with Lionel Robins "A History of Economic Thought."

These two texts can be read alongside any micro-macroeconomic (neoclassical) introductory text of your choosing. This will give an overview of the development of econonomic thought up through the marginality revolution to the solidification of the neoclassical program.

Steve Keen provides a somewhat tortured but nonetheless useful technical critique of the main neoclassical concepts in "Debunking Economics: The Naked Emperor of the Social Sciences.

That is where I would start and depending how careful you read the texts you will be well armed for a conversation with 85% of economists.

As for useful texts on how capitalism actually works...that is a different matter.

Hope this helps

Travis