[lbo-talk] Bush debuts new playtime army jacket

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 12:23:44 PST 2004

In his recent visit to Camp Pendleton, Bush showed up in his latest mock military garb. This one has a decidedly retro sci-fi look, recalling late 70s-era Star Trek: the Movie. It's kind of cute, because he had "George W. Bush: Commander in Chief" monogrammed/embroidered over the left breast:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/041207/480/wxs20812072350

I would have loved to have had a jacket like that when I played army as a kid.

I'm not sure how it ranks against the olive green windbreaker he used to go around in after 9/11. I suppose he can design whatever sorts of absurd militaristic get up he wants to wear. But in the past it seemed when we [the US public] would see other countries' leaders going around in Army outfits, we saw it as being an absurd display of bravura--if not a sign of their relative, Banana Republic barbarism.

===== "I'm not too worried by hegemony / I know the cadre will look after me" - Magazine, "Model Worker," 1978