[lbo-talk] All the complaints to the FCC come from one group!

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Dec 8 13:28:37 PST 2004

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>Do not forget that the US and its institutions are a street with the right
>turns only. No left turns are permitted.

-In the last week or so in New York State, thanks largely to -organizing by the Working Families Party, the legislature (one of the -worst in the country, by general agreement): 1) overrode the -governor's veto of a $2 increase in the state minimum wage...I'd -been skeptical about the WFP, but I gotta say these are major -victories that will make a real difference in lots of lives. And they -are left turns.

And BTW, in terms of lesser evilism, WFP pushed it to the hilt. In exchange for promises by the GOP State Senate Leader to pass the minimum wage, the WFP agreed to endorse a number of Republicans in close races. This isn't the kind of independent politics that most leftists advocate electorally, but it definitely seems to have been effective.

Nathan Newman