[lbo-talk] All the complaints to the FCC come from one group!

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Dec 8 13:18:24 PST 2004

Doug:
> In the last week or so in New York State, thanks largely to
> organizing by the Working Families Party, the legislature (one of the
> worst in the country, by general agreement): 1) overrode the
> governor's veto of a $2 increase in the state minimum wage, and 2)
> significantly reduced the draconian drug sentences dating from the
> Rockefeller yaers, which had been the most savage in the U.S. I'd
> been skeptical about the WFP, but I gotta say these are major
> victories that will make a real difference in lots of lives. And they
> are left turns.

I think these are more of going in the straight line - instead veering to the right - than left turns.

I am not arguing that small victories are unimportant, because these are all that we have. I am arguing that we need to look at the big picture and realize (i) how much this country sucks, and that (ii) alleviation of that suckiness will not be accomplished by 'baby steps' - a small victory here and there, or trying to hold the line under reactionary onslaught - but by a concerted effort on a global scale.

Stated differently, the US left-of-the center has more in common with likeminded people around the globe than with the 59 or so percent of their compatriots. They should cast their vision and plan their strategy accordingly.

Wojtek